- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Learning Leaders Alliance Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Creating an Online Learning Community
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2012 - January 27, 2012
University of Nevada - Las Vegas
Establishing and maintaining a welcoming and inclusive learning environment is one of the most difficult challenges of online teaching and training. Years of research tells us that social presence is vital to successful learning in the online environment. But how does social presence happen? Not by chance!
Participants in this session will first examine the necessary ingredients of an online learning community, including social, teaching, and cognitive presence. You’ll then explore a telling case example that illustrates how instructor presence, or lack thereof, impacts the learning experience. Finally, you’ll learn a process for building and maintaining an online learning community for differing goals, and guidelines for addressing the most common learning-community issues.
In this session, you will learn:
- The essential elements of an online learning community
- The process for building and maintaining community
- Practical guidelines for a variety of community-related issues
- About necessary online instructor behaviors and strategies
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Assistant eLearning Director
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Developer & Coordinator
- Senior Learning Specialist
- Learning Mgt System Administrator - CBT Specialist
Providence, Rhode Island