- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Alternate Reality? Simulation? Multiplayer? How & When to Use Play to Teach
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2011 - September 15, 2011
President and Creative Director
According to the New Media Institute, between 2010 and 2014, nearly 20% of US workers will retire and be replaced primarily by “Next Gen” 18-40 year olds. These younger workers grew up with games such as Reader Rabbit, Math Blaster, and Oregon Trail, and like learning through play. As educators, we need to use play to create more engaging learning experiences for Next Gen workers.
Participants in this session will see case studies, statistical findings, and examples that demonstrate various types of game-based learning. You'll learn how and when to use various types of games — from relatively simple embedded games to multi-player, simulation, immersive, and alternative-reality approaches — and how incorporating games into your training programs can drive your organization to new levels of performance.
In this session you will learn:
- How to identify game types and recognize when to use each type based on learning context and objectives
- About game theory and how you can use theory tenets to increase learner engagement
- About the latest developments in gaming and how you can apply these developments to learning
- How to select the right game-based simulation engine based on the synergy between pedagogy and engagement
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Digital Learning Technologist
Buffalo, New York
- Senior Specialist, ELearning Systems Administrator
- Manager, Training & Development - Fanatics Brands
- Global Customer Success Intern - Digital Learning Content D
Rock Hill, SC, USA
- Contract Instructional Designer
Remote - USA