- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Secrets of Simulation Design: How to Create Effective Performance Simulation
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2011 - June 3, 2011
Senior Director, Strategy & Innovation
Performance Development Group
“Simulation” has become a buzzword in the learning space, and a great deal of confusing and contradictory information has flooded communication channels. What types of problems can simulations help solve? What are characteristics of effective simulations?
Participants in this session will examine myths and misconceptions about simulation, learn about appropriate uses of simulation for different types of problems, and glimpse effective approaches for simulation design. You’ll learn what simulation is and isn’t, how simulation contextualizes learning and leads to improved performance, how you can use simulation for maximum learning effectiveness, and how the advent of virtual-world platforms such as Second Life and ProtoSphere are changing the simulation landscape. You’ll also learn how to avoid common mistakes in designing and using simulation, and how to begin developing a strategy for using simulation in your environment.
In this session, you will learn:
- The attributes of effective simulations (and of really bad simulations)
- How to create compelling simulations through the use of storytelling
- What types of content lend themselves well to simulation
- When simulations are most effective — and when they are not
- How technology enhances — but doesn't drive — simulation
- How well-known learning strategies can incorporate simulation effectively
- How virtual worlds have created a new dimension in simulation
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
These files are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Director, Learning Lab
- Public Education Program Developer
- Digital Learning Technologist
Buffalo, New York
- Senior Specialist, ELearning Systems Administrator
- Manager, Training & Development - Fanatics Brands