- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Learning Leaders Alliance Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Transforming Utility Training and Support through Mobile Technology
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2013 - June 7, 2013
Sr. Learning Strategist
Pacific Gas & Electric
Traditionally, utility companies trained workers in classrooms with hands-on labs, followed by formal and lengthy on-the-job training. However, new mobile-learning demands, shorter classroom times, and ongoing qualification updates have led to an emphasis on eLearning, rich media, mobile technology, and social-learning tools.
Participants in this session will examine how PG&E Academy leveraged a business shift to new mobile technologies for utility field workers. You’ll explore examples of PG&E’s mobile-device applications, training-materials design, impact on job performance, and future goals. You’ll also see how PG&E uses videos, QR codes, 3-D device simulators, and shareware tools such as Quizlet on laptops, tablets, and smartphones before, during, and after training events.
In this session, you will learn:
- How PG&E Academy used the introduction of new mobile devices to support new training tools and methods
- What tools, templates, and technologies PG&E Academy uses to support mobile learning and social connectivity across 10,000 mobile workers
- How new technologies and work procedures drove changes to PG&E’s instructor-led training, WBT, and job-support tools
- What changes PG&E Academy needed to make to traditional apprentice-to-journeyman job progressions
- How you can measure and evaluate the impact of new technologies and work procedures within your own organization
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Digital Learning Specialist
Remote (+/- 3 hours from CET)
- Digital Learning Designer
- Learning Specialist
Richmond, BC, Canada
- Candid Learning Curriculum Development and Train the Trainer
- Instructional Design Specialist
New York, NY