- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Can You Draw Me a Picture? Communicating Ideas with Diagrams
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2012 - August 23, 2012
Guidance Communications, Inc.
Learning designers (and other professionals) need to communicate their ideas with pictures, not just words and bullet points. Research shows that eLearning and presentations are more effective and memorable if you use visuals. But to communicate optimally, you sometimes need to move beyond clip art and stock photos to pictures that are specific to the content. Even if you have no graphics training, you can learn to do this with diagrams — simple pictures created with lines, shapes, words and, optionally, clip art.
Participants in this session will first learn a simplified taxonomy of diagram types (concept, parts, process) and heuristics for choosing the best diagram type to use in different situations. You’ll then learn and practice a process to design, define, and refine your own diagrams. This session distills the observations of several experts — including Dan Roam (Back of the Napkin), Nancy Duarte (slide:ology), Ruth Colvin Clark (Graphics for Learning) and Robin Williams (The Non-Designer’s Design Book) — into a practical approach that any professional can use to create great diagrams.
In this session, you will learn:
- Why simple diagrams can effectively communicate ideas and support learning
- How to apply a structured thought process to select the best type of diagram to use for different communication challenges
- To design and draw diagrams using lines, shapes, words, and stock art
- To refine draft diagrams by applying principles of effective graphic design
Note: We encourage you to print this session's handout before the live session.
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- ELearning Development for a Startup
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Developer
- Pharma Sales Training Project Manager - Temp To Hire
Remote - Northeast U.S.
- Curriculum & Instructional Designer
Durham, NC (RTP)