- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Learning Leaders Alliance Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
FCA Learning Games Drive Learning Retention
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2015 - September 9, 2015
Manager of Interactive Strategy, Design, and Production
Just like the sales consultants who work at FCA US automotive dealerships, many employees need to remember thousands of facts and recall them at a moment’s notice while doing their jobs. For years, FCA Performance Institute (FCAPI) improved employee performance using traditional blended-learning approaches. With the advent of mobile gaming, however, they realized it was critical to adapt and take advantage of the new ways they could help their learners embed large amounts of information into memory. And they knew the solution needed to be easy to access, short, and facilitate frequent and extended engagement without requiring employee compliance.
Their solution: BrainBoost, a platform that serves up a suite of short learning games. They designed these mobile games to last three to five minutes each so consultants and other FCA employees can play in between sales or during off hours. Keeping the games short and having an “anywhere, anytime” approach encouraged frequent and on-going engagement. The games primarily use repetition and gaming elements to increase retention and fast recall. The FCAPI also created a universal gaming management system to handle logins, peer-to-peer challenges, and a leaderboard. Participants in this session will get a behind-the-scenes look at how the FCAPI designed and developed these games, and participants at the live session will be able to play and experience one of these games on their iPhones or Android devices.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the FCA Performance Institute’s strategy for mobile learning games
- How to create a game management system to support a suite of mini-games
- The core steps and tools to design and produce a learning game
- How to use repetition, a variety of gaming elements, and other techniques to increase retention
- The approaches FCA Performance Institute used to keep learners coming back (more than 100,000 game plays to date!)
Novice designers, developers, project managers, managers, directors, VPs, CLOs, and executives. Some background with digital learning would be useful.
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Developer & Coordinator
- Senior Learning Specialist
- Learning Mgt System Administrator - CBT Specialist
Providence, Rhode Island
- Instructional Design Specialist
Glenview, IL, USA