- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Transmedia Storytelling and Mobile Devices: The Future of mLearning?
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2013 - September 20, 2013
Learning Technology Leader
Transmedia storytelling is the “technique of telling a single story or
story experience across multiple platforms and formats using current
digital technologies” (Wikipedia). These platforms include film, online
video, alternate reality games, social media tools, and mobile
technologies. While the antecedents of transmedia storytelling first
occurred over a decade ago, with the rise of social and mobile
technologies, this method of storytelling has emerged as a powerful way
to engage audiences. But learning professionals have not yet explored in
much detail the possibilities of transmedia storytelling for learning. Often touted as the future of television and
film, does transmedia storytelling represent the future of mLearning as well?
Participants in this session will explore the role transmedia storytelling can play in learning, and specifically the role mobile technologies can play in this approach. You’ll review examples from film, television, and marketing of transmedia storytelling, and see how these examples used mobile devices. You’ll compare other mLearning approaches to mobile transmedia storytelling, learn how you can enhance the power of transmedia storytelling by incorporating participatory storytelling techniques, and gain insights into the possibilities of this new approach to mLearning.
In this session, you will learn:
- What transmedia storytelling is, with examples
- How transmedia storytelling relates to participatory storytelling and to learning
- How organizations and artists are using transmedia storytelling to engage audiences
- The role mobile devices play in transmedia storytelling
- The potential of transmedia storytelling for learning
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- eLearning Instructional Designer
- Instructional Designer
- Manager, Customer Service/Operations, Trauma Education
Chicago, IL, USA
- Education Technology Specialist
Chicago, IL, USA
- Instructional Designer International projects