- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Learning Leaders Alliance Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Visual Communication, Creativity, and Learning
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2014 - November 14, 2014
Founder, Consultant, and Educator
Smith Brook Farm Consulting
The vast majority of us are visual thinkers, even if we are not artistic. We create pictures in our “mind’s eye.” We read a novel and make the “movie” in our brains. We read charts and pages of detailed text to “picture what success looks like.” It is no accident that the words “image,” “imagine,” and “imagination” are derived from the same root, whose meanings include “likeness,” “semblance,” and “conception (thought).” Visual communication is also a universal language. When words fail, image and context can fill in the blanks. Today, visuals are shorthand—the way we exchange ideas and information an increasingly graphic world.
So what is the role and value of visual communication in learning, and how can you best apply it? Understanding is the key to learning, and adroitly used visual elements can serve to illustrate, engage, and inspire. As we incorporate visual communication and creativity into the learning environment, we cultivate greater understanding, produce better communicators, inspire innovative thinking, and develop a thirst for knowledge. Participants in this session will explore the impact and potential of visual communication in learning and examine a framework for incorporating many of the practical and tactical ideas covered in the other sessions in this Online Forum.
In this session, you will learn:
- Creative options for leading, learning, and expression through visual communication in the classroom and workplace
- About using visual communication as star or supporting player in learning
- Keys to unlocking learner imagination
- About the serious power of creative learning
- Principles of visual storytelling
- Lessons from movies, television, and advertising
Novice through advanced designers, developers, project managers, managers, directors, VPs, CLOs, and executives.
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Senior Instructional Designer
- MENTAL HEALTH EDUCATOR
- LEARNING DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST
- ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES MANAGER III (ONBOARDING AND TALENT D
Los Angeles, California
- Product Manager - BQuant Learning & Productivity
San Francisco, CA, USA