- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Designing and Developing a Successful MOOC that Fits Your Training Environment
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2014 - May 15, 2014
Inge de Waard
AI & Education Strategist
MOOCs (massively open online courses) offer one more training-delivery format to increase organizational knowledge transfer. But to succeed with MOOCs, we must understand what has and has not worked so far. Then, it’s just a matter of setting up and rolling out a simple MOOC, using rapid iteration and evaluation to gradually build your own “powerMOOC” that fits within your training infrastructure. In short, MOOCs are similar to music and life: They only start making sense once you practice, practice, practice, and they are open to some initial chaos.
Participants in this session will examine what MOOCs can and—as yet—cannot do, and how you can use MOOCs to improve or supplement your existing training infrastructure. You’ll explore options for starting a MOOC, from developing your own platform, to using platform partners, to using your existing LMS. You’ll also learn about the extra learning dynamics that MOOCs offer, including more diverse learner interactions, meaningful social-media options, a ubiquitous learning set at the center, reaching international learners, and creating or strengthening a community.
In this session, you will learn:
- The biggest myths about and opportunities for MOOCs
- What a MOOC can offer that other online-learning platforms cannot
- Some typical MOOC learning dynamics
- How to guide MOOC learning dynamics towards desired learning outcomes
- A brief overview of mapped and unmapped MOOC territory
- How far you can stretch a MOOC, and what lies beyond
Intermediate-to-advanced designers and developers with experience in online training.
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Manager, Customer Service/Operations, Trauma Education
Chicago, IL, USA
- Education Technology Specialist
Chicago, IL, USA
- Instructional Designer International projects
- Instructional Designer
Fairfield, CA, United States
- Instructional Design Advisor - Remote
Remote or California