P07 Moving from Order Taker to Performance Partner
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM Monday, October 22
Many L&D professionals feel trapped in “order taker” roles, delivering training programs based on superficial and often ill-thought-out requests. You know that training is just one element that influences performance. This poses some important questions: How do you redefine your role and value proposition to your stakeholders? What processes, techniques, and tools will help you deliver on that proposition?
In this workshop, you will explore a simple process that will help reframe “order taker” conversations into performance ones. You will examine how to quickly understand business priorities; identify underlying performance issues; reframe the problem; and identify a range of impactful strategies moving forward. You will discover how to go beyond narrow training questions and broaden the conversation to other strategies, including performance support, systems, engagement, and mindset. You will leave this workshop able to replicate a scalable, simple method to focus on performance outcomes.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to effectively engage with, understand, and influence stakeholders
- How to reframe “order taker” conversations to identify underlying needs
- How to use personas to empathize with and understand key audience groups
- How to accurately diagnose performance gaps and consider a range of possible causes
- How to select from a range of strategies, including but going beyond training, to impact results
- How to incorporate metrics and xAPI as part of upfront performance-based conversations
- How to scale, preview, and “sell” a performance-based process in as little as 30 minutes with a skeptical stakeholder
Novice to advanced designers, managers, and senior leaders (directors, VP, CLO, executive, etc.) with a basic understanding of learning principles and an interest in taking a holistic view of performance.
Technology discussed in this session:
Performance ecosystems, blended learning, performance support, marketing and engagement strategies, and systems and workflow design.
Learning, Performance & Innovation Strategist
Arun Pradhan is a curious geek obsessed with helping people and organizations learn, perform, and innovate. He has taken the lead creative role in delivering learning campaigns and performance ecosystems to Australia's largest banks, telcos, and retailers. Arun was awarded Australia's Learning Professional of the Year Award in 2017 and the Australian eLearning Award for Individual Excellence in 2015. He is the founder of Learn2LearnApp.com, an enterprise solution to enable a learning agility, and is launching his next start-up soon. Arun's areas of specialization include using design thinking for performance solutions and enabling learning agility in organizations and people.