- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
BYOD: Exploring Accessibility Options in Captivate 2018
DevLearn 2018 Conference & Expo - October 24, 2018
Manager of Learning Technology Solutions
Los Angeles Pacific University
Adobe Captivate 2017 provides eLearning content creators many interactive tools, but accessibility often takes a back seat to interactivity. In December 2017, a development team was tasked with making a series of interactive presentations accessible to screen readers when they were informed a student with blindness had been enrolled for the upcoming term.
This session will explore how Adobe Captivate interacts with screen readers and how it can provide accessible interactions for students with disabilities. You’ll explore closed captioning, adding accessibility text, and creating a variety of accessible interactions; and you’ll learn about some of the challenges the team faced in converting existing content. You’ll explore the results of those challenges in a screen reader and find out how, with accessibility, you can help equip all learners with an engaging learning experience.
In this session, you will learn:
- Several tips for making your content accessible to learners with vision and hearing impairment
- How to use JAWS and NVDA screen readers to test your content in Adobe Captivate
- About some of the challenges of making Captivate interactions accessible
- About some free tools for testing the accessibility of Captivate files
Designers and developers.
Technology discussed in this session:
Adobe Captivate 2017, JAWS screen reader for Windows, and NVDA screen reader for Windows.
PC laptop (or Mac laptop with an installed Windows partition); Adobe Captivate 2018; JAWS screen reader for Windows (offers a free 40-minute-per-session trial); and NVDA screen reader for Windows (free).
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Director of Worldwide Learning & Professional Development
- eLearning Support Technologist
Madison, WI, USA
- SR Instructional Designer
- Training Development Manager
- Instructional Designer