- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
More Than Numbers: Data, Analytics, and Design
DevLearn 2014 Conference & Expo - October 30, 2014
Janet Laane Effron
The availability of (and demand for) data around learning has grown dramatically. Tools like the Experience API (xAPI) make it increasingly easy to acquire data about learner’s activities, but this will provide little benefit to instructional designers or learners if we do not design to acquire meaningful data, know how to interpret that data, or know how to improve our learning design based on that data.
In this session participants will explore the use of data in the context of learning systems design. You will examine some basic principles surrounding the effective use of data and how to design to provide meaningful feedback. You will discuss concepts including comparative mapping of novice to expert practices and learner experiences with formal courses and other activities. You will explore the application of principles from UXD, web analytics, and business intelligence to design for meaningful (and actionable) contextual data. Examples of how using data generated by the xAPI that can be used for predictive analytics to make interventions seamless for the end user will also be discussed.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to apply principles from fields including business intelligence and web analytics to learning design
- How to design to gather meaningful data within the context of course goals and overall performance objectives
- How to use data analytics to improve course design
- Potential pitfalls of data interpretation
Novice, intermediate, and advanced designers, developers, project managers, and managers. A conceptual knowledge of the xAPI is useful, but not required.
discussed in this session:
The xAPI, learning record stores.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Director of Worldwide Learning & Professional Development
- eLearning Support Technologist
Madison, WI, USA
- SR Instructional Designer
- Training Development Manager
- Instructional Designer