- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
B.Y.O.L.: Audio Tools to Enhance Online Learning
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2014 - March 19, 2014
Instructional Development Manager
Many courses online are text heavy and have very little multimedia. Students with learning disabilities or those who demonstrate strengths in auditory learning may not perform well and often drop out of online courses. Retention rates for these students are often low. Using audio tools to create audio components that help them listen to online text content and participate in audio discussions enables learners to access information in a format other than print.
Participants in this session will learn how courses that incorporate Audioboo discussions,audio pedagogical agents, and tools such as SoundGecko enhance the learner's ability to understand content By incorporating audio into assignments, activities, and discussions, learners are now providing more in-depth responses that are well-organized and thought out. These are an improvement over the text-heavy courses.
In this session, you will learn:
- The importance of audio in online courses to meet the needs of learners
- How to use online tools to facilitate audio discussions and activities in online courses
- How to use Audacity as an audio-editing tool to record and create audio content
- How to use online tools to read text-based content aloud
Novice and intermediate level. Prior knowledge of social media and recording tools (such as basic or laptop-embedded microphones) will be beneficial.
Technology discussed in this session:
Audioboo, Audacity, and SoundGecko.
Student technology needs:
Participants will need to download and install Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and have a laptop with microphone, recording, Wi-Fi, and Internet capabilities.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- eLearning Instructional Designer
- Instructional Designer
- Manager, Customer Service/Operations, Trauma Education
Chicago, IL, USA
- Education Technology Specialist
Chicago, IL, USA
- Instructional Designer International projects