- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Learning Leaders Alliance Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
xAPI: An Introduction for Instructional Designers
Online Events Archive
Learning Solutions Online Conference 2020 - April 9, 2020
As adoption of xAPI begins to take hold, it allows for more robust and interesting tracking of the learning process. As actual performance and results data are integrated with learning metrics, L&D professionals will have the data they need to tailor the learning process to individual needs at the same time that they can draw more useful conclusions about the learning as a whole across a wider population. With the xAPI specification nearly 7 years old, the tools and platforms needed to support it are ready for mass adoption and many L&D professionals are looking for a way to get started.
In this session you’ll get a foundational, practical, non-technical introduction to xAPI. After a brief introduction to xAPI and what's different about it from the SCORM-based data we're used to, this session will explore three key areas that impact learning professionals as they embark on their first xAPI projects. First, we'll examine learning data needs and data sources that will help you answer organizational and L&D questions. Then we'll look at making choices about infrastructure: how and when to work with your LMS, your LRS, or both. Finally, we'll discuss what can be done with the data gleaned from these projects: from better insights to the learning experience, data visualization, personalization and recommendations, business rules triggers and more. You’ll also get a high-level review of currently available software & tools for getting started with xAPI, including an up-to-date list of vendors with xAPI offerings.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to describe the impact that xAPI can have on your organization's learning and performance strategies
- How to identify data needs and likely sources within the organization
- How to identify new challenges in your work as an instructional designer or other learning professional
- How to choose one or more first projects that leverage xAPI's capabilities beyond what's available in SCORM today
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This video is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to view this video.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Developer & Coordinator
- Senior Learning Specialist
- Learning Mgt System Administrator - CBT Specialist
Providence, Rhode Island
- Instructional Design Specialist
Glenview, IL, USA