- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
How Stories Help Make Learning Stick
Online Events Archive
Designing for Engagement Spotlight 2018 - January 31, 2018
Senior Instructional Designer
Let’s be honest: Not everyone is as engaged in courses as the designers are. According to Learning Solutions, research shows that learners on average forget 50 percent of what they learned within an hour after taking a course. As if that weren’t bad enough, people retain 30 to 40 percent of what they see and hear. What happens to your carefully crafted message after training? How can you make your designs stick?
In this session, you will explore storytelling techniques that can elevate your design so it resonates with your audience, making learning stick. You will learn why stories are effective, and about the elements that go into making a good story. You’ll see examples of good stories and examples of not-so-good stories, breaking down the components of each and shedding light on their strengths and weaknesses. Finally, you’ll explore different delivery methods for storytelling. Storytelling can work in every learning modality. You’ll see examples of how a story can be woven throughout a course or curriculum to make your message stick.
In this session, you will learn:
- What makes storytelling an effective learning method
- About the elements that make up a good story
- About pitfalls to avoid when using storytelling in learning
- How you can apply storytelling to improve learner retention
- How you can use storytelling in different learning modalities
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Digital Learning Technologist
Buffalo, New York
- Senior Specialist, ELearning Systems Administrator
- Manager, Training & Development - Fanatics Brands
- Global Customer Success Intern - Digital Learning Content D
Rock Hill, SC, USA
- Contract Instructional Designer
Remote - USA