- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
A Measured Word: Authoring Virtual Human Conversations that Work and Assess
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2015 - April 22, 2015
Principal Medical Expert
USC Institute for Creative Technologies
Virtual-human technology provides for verbally and emotionally expressive avatars that successfully teach interviewing skills, counseling interactions, social rehearsal, and difficult conversations. Learners being able to engage in conversational interactions with an avatar opens up many eLearning possibilities, but until recently the technology needed has been out of reach of most educators.
Participants in this session will discuss the design of virtual humans and extend to practical use cases and instructional-design decisions. You’ll discover how to add conversational interactions to your eLearning efforts, along with ways to make those interactions quantifiable for assessment purposes. You’ll learn virtual humans’ capabilities along with their limitations. You’ll learn when this type of technology is appropriate, and more importantly, when it is not. Although virtual patients are the main use case for examples, no medical knowledge is necessary to participate.
In this session, you will learn:
- What virtual humans can and cannot do
- How to choose a virtual-human interaction design
- The basics of authoring virtual humans
- How to design conversations to include assessment
- How to tailor virtual conversations towards learning
- How to author virtual standardized patients
Novice and intermediate designers, developers, project managers, CLOs, and anyone interested in virtual-human applications.
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Director, Learning Lab
- Public Education Program Developer
- Digital Learning Technologist
Buffalo, New York
- Senior Specialist, ELearning Systems Administrator
- Manager, Training & Development - Fanatics Brands