- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Learning Leaders Alliance Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
New Frontiers of Multimedia Pedagogy
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2015 - April 22, 2015
Ty Marbut Instructional Video
As connectivity bandwidth increases and learners demand ever greater richness in their learning experiences, people often point to multimedia as the new frontier of eLearning. However, we rarely ask some important questions about this new frontier: Where are we going with multimedia in the coming years? Does it really work, and if so, why? Assuming we know why it works, how can we use those mechanisms to our advantage? And even knowing all about how and why multimedia teaches tremendously well, how can an eLearning team ensure that they are producing materials that both engender memory and behavior change and also meet the stylistic expectations of learners?
Participants in this session will discuss the big picture and progression of multimedia use in eLearning, focusing on making intuitive the mechanisms that give the blend of multimedia and interactive eLearning an enhanced power to teach, persuade, and change behaviors. You’ll learn about underlying cognitive- and social-psychological principles that multimedia leverages in eLearning so you can exploit those principles for enhanced retention. You’ll learn specific best practices for any multimedia production process to maximize efficacy and minimize headaches, how to select the best multimedia for the job based on the learning objectives, the multimedia geared to a Millennial audience, and the role of a “director” in planning and producing great multimedia.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the future direction of multimedia in eLearning from a historical perspective
- How social- and cognitive-psychological principles affect retention in multimedia and how to exploit these mechanisms
- Best practices for developing top-shelf multimedia and integrating it with interactive eLearning
- Specific tips for directing multimedia productions, catering to Millennial audiences, and selecting the right type of media
Novice through advanced developers and producers of interactive eLearning, multimedia producers, managers and directors of learning departments, and individual teachers and trainers.
Handouts are available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for Learning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Developer & Coordinator
- Senior Learning Specialist
- Learning Mgt System Administrator - CBT Specialist
Providence, Rhode Island
- Instructional Design Specialist
Glenview, IL, USA