EME202 The xAPI: The Swiss Army Knife for Your Learning Environment
11:00 AM - 11:45 AM Thursday, November 17
Expo Hall—Emerging Tech Stage
Years of momentum have resulted in a collection of use cases for teams seeking to leverage the xAPI to better track, measure, and manage their learning efforts. The time is now; the xAPI can improve the ways you create and deliver content and classes, track interactions, communicate, and measure performance. Armed with knowledge and the proverbial Swiss Army Knife of xAPI functions, begin to “slice, saw, tweeze and pick” your way through training obstacles.
This session will cover what the xAPI really is, how statements are structured, and how it is being operationalized. You will explore how progressive teams leverage the xAPI to improve the learning experience, streamline tracking, perform common tasks, and drive engagement via modern authoring tools and an LRS. You will see how LMSs are undergoing transformations to support the trend. This session will help you understand the basic challenges teams face in implementing the xAPI on a limited budget. Finally, learn how authoring tools, LMS platforms, mobile apps, and IoT endpoints are being connected to leverage the power of the xAPI.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the best current authoring tools and learning platforms to take advantage of the xAPI
- About new use cases to apply tracking to nontraditional learning assignments and interactions
- About the challenges to overcome with LMS integration, security, mobile access (especially when offline), and more
- About the basic structural and design tenets of an xAPI-based solution and the best-practice approach to implementing those solutions
- When to use the xAPI over SCORM for tracking, and when “all of the above” is better than one or the other
Novice to advanced designers, developers, project managers, and managers.
discussed in this session:
The xAPI, learning record stores, and authoring tools.
Robert Gadd is president of OnPoint Digital and responsible for the company’s vision and strategy. OnPoint’s online and mobile-enabled offerings support more than one million workers and include innovative methods for content authoring, conversion, and delivery extended with social interactions, gamification, and enterprise-grade security for workers on their device or platform of choice. Prior to OnPoint, Robert spent 10 years as CTO of Datatec Systems and president/CTO of spin-off eDeploy.com. He is a frequent speaker on learning solutions—including mobile, informal learning, xAPI, and gamification—at national and international T&D conferences.