- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Better Feedback for Scenario-Based eLearning
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2018 - March 27, 2018
Learning Experience Design Consultant
When you create a scenario, you work hard to make it realistic and relevant for your learners. Unfortunately, even otherwise engaging scenarios sometimes include abstract feedback like “Incorrect. Please try again.” Simply saying the choice is right or wrong can make learners lose interest and focus, and it doesn’t help them learn from their mistakes.
In this session, you will learn how to show learners the consequences of their decisions rather than telling them they’re right or wrong in scenario-based eLearning—the difference between “intrinsic feedback” and “instructional feedback.” You will explore several options for intrinsic feedback, such as progress meters, character responses, and environmental changes. You’ll learn guidelines for when to use immediate feedback and when to delay the feedback in scenarios. You will discuss how to design feedback to meet the needs of both novice and expert learners. You’ll also learn when direct instructional feedback is beneficial for learning.
In this session, you will learn:
- Multiple methods to show the consequences of decisions in scenarios
- When to use immediate or delayed feedback
- How to provide appropriate feedback for novice and expert learners
- When to use intrinsic feedback (showing consequences) and instructional feedback (direct coaching)
- How to work with SMEs to get information to provide realistic consequences
- How to write better feedback for short scenarios and complex branching scenarios
Novice to advanced designers, developers, and managers. This session will be especially helpful for those who have created (or attempted to create) scenario-based learning. Anyone with an interest in creating scenario-based eLearning, at any level of experience, can benefit.
Technology discussed in this session:
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Senior Specialist, ELearning Systems Administrator
- Manager, Training & Development - Fanatics Brands
- Global Customer Success Intern - Digital Learning Content D
Rock Hill, SC, USA
- Contract Instructional Designer
Remote - USA
- Register as an Expert Partner