- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Creating Question-embedded Videos to Increase Engagement and Retention
FocusOn Learning 2016 Conference & Expo - June 8, 2016
Director of Online Learning
University of California–Davis School of Medicine
Online video-based instruction can be just as ineffective as traditional face-to-face lectures when learners are passive recipients of information. The “testing effect” describes the observation that the process of remembering concepts or facts increases long-term retention of those concepts or facts. The creation of question-embedded videos offers a practical way to increase user engagement and increase long-term retention.
In this session, you will learn how to not only embed questions into your instructional videos but also monitor the effects on learner engagement and retention. Case examples from the University of California–Davis School of Medicine will demonstrate both the theory and process of using question-embedded videos to teach. There will be particular emphasis on helping learners identify how they might use this approach in their teaching.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the evidence for test-enhanced learning
- About the workflow to create question-embedded videos
- How to download and install the necessary tools to begin creating your own question-embedded videos
- How to monitor learner engagement and retention using video analytics
- How to identify the next steps for using this information in your own teaching
Novice and intermediate designers, developers, and project managers.
discussed in this session:
HapYak (question-embedded videos), Wistia (video hosting), WordPress (learning management system), and Chrome and Safari (web browsers).
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Director of Worldwide Learning & Professional Development
- eLearning Support Technologist
Madison, WI, USA
- SR Instructional Designer
- Training Development Manager
- Instructional Designer