- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Using a Common Learning Portal at the National Park Service
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2016 - March 16, 2016
Distance Learning Program Manager
National Park Service
Prior to the integration of its learning information sites into the common learning portal (CLP), the National Park Service (NPS) had over 25 different sites for its various learning programs. This made finding learning information complex for its workforce of over 20,000 employees. Navigation required knowledge of the URLs at various sites and each site had different navigation tools and varied widely in appearance. In addition, social learning opportunities in the form of communities were scattered among various commercial sites.
In this session, you will learn about an 18-month-long CLP process—from inception to completion. You will learn how the NPS pulled all of its various learning communities—formal and informal—and community interaction into one system, making finding learning opportunities no more than three clicks away. You will also learn how the NPS integrated requirements, such as findability, LMS integration, governance, and other practical considerations within the decentralized organization’s training groups.
In this session, you will learn:
- The design considerations for building a learning portal
- How to integrate within your communities of learning
- How a learning portal can tie in with other learning systems as part of the learning ecosystem
- The considerations, pitfalls, and things to avoid with developing a learning portal
- How taxonomy planning is critical on day one
- How modular design allows for maximum flexibility
Intermediate and advanced designers and developers.
discussed in this session:
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Learning Management System Administrator
- eLearning Coordinator & Developer
- Director of Worldwide Learning & Professional Development
- eLearning Support Technologist
Madison, WI, USA
- SR Instructional Designer