- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Improving Patient Safety Using xAPI and LRS
DevLearn 2015 Conference & Expo - October 1, 2015
Co-founder and COO
Medical education in North America is taught in a decentralized manner with in-class coursework delivered in small blocks and students gaining learning experiences in hospitals and other institutions outside of the university. Medical schools need a way to capture and analyze these experiences to get a true picture of a student’s readiness to treat patients. Furthermore, learning requirements are set to change for medical residents from set-year programs to a competency-based model. Current LMSs alone aren’t able to tie outside experiences to competencies.
In this session, you will learn about the resources, logistical issues, and planning that were required to implement the Experience API (xAPI) and a learning record store (LRS) in an effort to reach specific desired outcomes at uOttawa. You will learn how uOttawa leveraged an LRS to capture the data from a content management system (CMS) with a combination of HTML and rapid authored content and then designed advanced reporting functions not found in other tools on the market. Additionally, you will review the future expansion plans and vision that the uOttawa Faculty of Medicine has for the xAPI in medical education.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to gain access to data and insights not possible before
- About the resources and expertise required for a successful xAPI implementation
- About the risks and challenges of implementing the xAPI
- The benefits of conscientious design and planning for capturing data in a purposeful manner
Novice to advanced designers, developers, project managers, and managers.
discussed in this session:
Learning record store, analytics, content management system, connected devices, Experience API
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Director of Instructional Development
- Learning Management System Administrator
- eLearning Coordinator & Developer
- Director of Worldwide Learning & Professional Development
- eLearning Support Technologist
Madison, WI, USA