- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Accessibility 101: How Inclusive Are Your Course Designs?
DevLearn 2014 Conference & Expo - October 29, 2014
Associate Director of Instructional Design
CT Distance Learning Consortium
Senior Training Consultant
There is an increasing demand for accessibility in learning content, yet many instructional designers are unsure if they are doing a good job of meeting the needs of learners with disabilities. There is a need for instructional designers to discover what they can do to accommodate and enhance content for users of all abilities.
In this session participants will learn from the accessibility lessons learned in supporting the Connect-Ability project, an online education initiative for individuals with disabilities seeking gainful employment. You will explore how assistive technology (AT) is used and how course designs support accessible content. You will discuss 508 standards, other accessible guideline information, and the practical application of tips to incorporate in your design. You will examine the different considerations to consider for inclusive design based on working with a diverse population of users. This session will help you become more comfortable understanding your learners and how to ask important questions that can influence your course designs.
In this session, you will learn:
- Why 508 compliance is an important factor in course design and important 508 standards to follow
- What tools to consider when developing accessible content
- How JAWS users engage with content and the importance of using headers in content
- How to be creative and still meet accessibility requirements
- About the various types of disabilities to consider
- Considerations for building accessible courses/content
- The top 10 design goals to consider for designing accessible content
- If your courses are inclusive
Novice to advanced designers, developers, project managers, and directors.
discussed in this session:
JAWS (screen readers), Lectora, closed captioning and various eLearning tools, Blackboard, 508 standards, and others.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Learning Management System Administrator
- eLearning Coordinator & Developer
- Director of Worldwide Learning & Professional Development
- eLearning Support Technologist
Madison, WI, USA
- SR Instructional Designer