- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Learning Leaders Alliance Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Why Training (Too Often) Doesn't Work and What You Can Do About It
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2012 - March 21, 2012
There are a number of reasons why training doesn’t work. A variety of factors affect job performance, and when you don’t take all of them into consideration, any solutions you create (such as training) are likely to have limited impact – at best. Too many eLearning professionals are unaware of the systems nature of training, and what impacts the reasons why training does or doesn't work. They're frustrated that it doesn't work and that they're held responsible that it doesn't.
In this session, you will explore the “performance system,” the constellation of factors that impact job performance, including how to analyze a given performance problem situation (such as, “Customer service reps too often give out the wrong information.”). This systems view of job performance goes beyond a one-size-fits-all approach (which is typically throw-training-at-it-and-see-if-sticks) to a more systematic process for assessing what you really need for the desired results.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to describe performance in terms of specific business needs
- How to analyze the factors that affect individual performance
- How to select data collection methods to understand job performance
- How to map problems with specific factors to needed interventions
Audience: Intermediate to advanced.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Assistant eLearning Director
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Developer & Coordinator
- Senior Learning Specialist
- Learning Mgt System Administrator - CBT Specialist
Providence, Rhode Island